Real County · Nueces River · Nueces Canyon

Where Is Camp Wood, Texas?

Camp Wood sits on the Nueces River in far southwestern Real County, west of Leakey across the steep divide separating the Nueces and Frio canyons. The modern town dates to 1920, but the same spring-and-river site had already supported a Spanish mission and a U.S. military post.

Map showing Camp Wood on the Nueces River west of Leakey in Real County
Camp Wood in the Nueces Canyon — west of Leakey, on the other side of Real County’s steep canyon divide.

Where is Camp Wood on the Texas Hill Country map?

Camp Wood is the western Real County anchor. Leakey lies east in the Frio Canyon. Utopia and Vanderpool are farther east in the Sabinal drainage. The Nueces River runs directly through Camp Wood, while FM 337 now provides the dramatic cross-canyon road toward Leakey.

The same spring supported three completely different settlements

Camp Wood’s most remarkable fact is not that several settlements occupied the same general area. It is that the same dependable water source helped make each occupation possible.

Franciscans established San Lorenzo de la Santa Cruz Mission here in 1762 for Lipan Apaches. The mission lasted until 1771. In 1857 the United States Army established Camp Wood nearby, using the same spring that had supplied the mission. The post protected frontier routes and took its name from Bvt. Maj. George W. F. Wood.

Federal troops abandoned the camp as the Civil War began. Decades later, when the modern town appeared, that spring again supplied the community. The human institutions changed completely; the water source did not.

The modern Camp Wood was built for cedar and a short railroad

The town visible today was formally laid out in 1920 by the Uvalde Cedar Company. Camp Wood became the northern terminus of the Uvalde and Northern Railroad, which allowed cedar cut in the canyon country to move south toward larger markets.

Early workers lived in tents while the town grew around them. The cedar boom was real but finite. Depression-era conditions and depletion of accessible cedar weakened the industry, and the railroad stopped operating in the early 1940s. Ranching—especially Angora goats—plus hunting and tourism filled more of the local economy afterward.

Charles Lindbergh once reached Camp Wood by following the wrong railroad

In March 1924, three years before his famous transatlantic flight, Charles Lindbergh was a young pilot waiting to enter military flight training. He and a friend attempted a flight toward California. Lindbergh followed the Uvalde and Northern railroad north up the Nueces River, mistaking it for the Southern Pacific route he intended to use as a navigation guide.

The error brought him to Camp Wood instead of toward the Rio Grande route he expected. He made an unplanned landing and damaged the airplane. It is a wonderfully analog navigation mistake: before GPS, a railroad line on the ground could function like a giant directional arrow—and the wrong line could lead a pilot straight into a canyon town.

The canyon divide still explains the map better than county lines do

Camp Wood and Leakey are in the same small county, but their histories developed in separate river canyons. The Nueces and Frio drainages are divided by steep ridges that once made travel between the two extremely indirect. Real County’s political boundary may group them together; physical geography keeps their identities distinct.

One spring, three settlements

The same water, three times over

Vertical diagram: the same spring on the Nueces River supported the 1762 San Lorenzo mission, the 1857 U.S. Camp Wood military post, and the 1920 cedar-company town

The remarkable thing about Camp Wood is continuity of water: one dependable spring on the Nueces served a 1762 mission, an 1857 army post, and the 1920 cedar town.

A boom on a short line

Cedar → railroad → Camp Wood

Diagram: cedar brakes cut by the Uvalde Cedar Company moved south on the Uvalde and Northern Railroad to its northern terminus at Camp Wood in 1920, until cedar depletion ended the railroad in the 1940s

Camp Wood was built to move cedar: the Uvalde & Northern Railroad ran to its 1920 terminus here, then closed in the 1940s as accessible cedar ran out.

Navigation by railroad line

Lindbergh followed the wrong railroad

Generalized schematic: from Uvalde, Lindbergh followed the Uvalde and Northern Railroad up the Nueces to Camp Wood instead of the intended Southern Pacific route toward the Rio Grande

In 1924 Lindbergh navigated by railroad line and followed the wrong one — the Uvalde & Northern up the Nueces — straight into Camp Wood instead of the Rio Grande route he intended.

Cross the divide

Can you pin Camp Wood?

Find the Nueces Canyon west of Leakey and the Frio–Nueces divide.

Play all 36 towns
Garner State ParkLost Maples01025 mi

Tap or click the map to drop your pin.

Nearby Hill Country towns

The western Real County cluster, measured from the game’s coordinate data.

Approx. straight-line distances, measured from the game's coordinates — not driving distances.

Camp Wood map questions

What river is Camp Wood on?

Camp Wood is on the Nueces River.

Why is Camp Wood called Camp Wood?

The modern town took its name from a U.S. military post established at the site in 1857 and named for Bvt. Maj. George W. F. Wood.

Was there a Spanish mission at Camp Wood?

Yes. San Lorenzo de la Santa Cruz Mission operated near the site from 1762 to 1771.

What is Camp Wood’s Charles Lindbergh story?

In 1924 a young Lindbergh mistakenly followed the Uvalde and Northern Railroad to Camp Wood while navigating by railroad lines and made an unplanned stop there.

Sources & further reading